Red Deer Attractions, Activities & Events
Alberta’s third largest city, Red Deer sits in a beautiful river valley midway between Calgary and Edmonton. Its central location makes it a natural meeting point for business. Its shops, restaurants and attractions make it an ideal location for a getaway or family reunion. Everything in town is within a 10-minute drive of Sheraton Red Deer.
Things to See & Do
- Stroll Gaetz Avenue’s shopping district.
- Play virtual sports at the Alberta Sports Hall of Fame and Museum.
- Cheer on the local WHL hockey team (Go Rebels!) at ENMAX Centrium.
- See a rodeo, horse show or concert at Westerner Park.
- Hit the beach and water park at Sylvan Lake.
- Tee off at River Bend Golf Course, Wolf Creek Golf Course or one of 28 other area courses.
- Go mountain biking, fishing, paddling, skating, cross-country skiing or hiking at parks in and around the Red Deer River.
- Enjoy the convenience of the Sheraton Red Deer onsite restaurants, bars, country western dance hall and VLT lounge.
- Ice Field Heli Tours - drive 1 hour west of Red Deer to Ice Field Heli tours to explore the Canadian Rockies from a bird’s eye view. Open Year Round www.icefieldheli.com/index.html
- Ellis Bird Farm - Check out Ellis Bird Farm to learn about the native birds, insects flora and fauna. Relax to the sights and sounds of nature while sipping a cup of tea or a light snack from their tea house. www.ellisbirdfarm.ca/
Great Day Trip Destinations
- Canyon Ski Area (9 km east)
- Sylvan Lake (19 km west)
- Rocky Mountain House (80 km west)
- Ponoka (54 km north)
- Historic downtown Lacombe (22 km north)
- Alberta Prairie Steam Train, Stettler (92 km east)
- Reynolds-Alberta Museum, Wetaskiwin (90 km north)
- Royal Tyrrell Museum, Drumheller Valley (150 km south)
Find more ideas at Tourism Red Deer.
Red Deer Event Listings
Click on month to see events
- Ronald McDonald House® Central Alberta - January 5, 2013 Freeze The House Charity Gala
- Horse Industry Association of Alberta - January 11 – 13, 2013 The Horse Breeders and Owners Conference
- Feeder’s Association of Alberta Conference January 25 – 26, 2013 www.cattlefeeders.ca
- Prairie Conservation Endangered Species Conference February 19 – 22, 2013 www.pcesc.ca
- Canadian Land Reclamation Association Alberta Chapter February 27 – March 1, 2013 Conference and AGM
- Alberta Pork Congress March 28 - 29, 2012
Join us for the 38th Annual Tradeshow and social events to learn more about the latest products and services and connect with your suppliers.
- Red Deer & District Kennel Club All Breed Dog Show April 6 - 8, 2012
3 All Breed Conformation Shows, 3 Licensed Obedience Trials, 3 Licensed Rally Obedience Trials
- Alberta Home Educators Association April 13 - 14, 2012
Learn the latest and greatest in home schooling techniques through a series of workshops and presentations
- Carswell’s Antique Show and Sale May 12 - 13, 2012
Carswell's 23rd Mother's Day Antique Furniture & Collectables Show & Sale. Westerner Exposition Park Sat. 10 to 6 & Sun. 10 to 5. Over 350 Tables. Dealers from across Canada.Treat Yourself to an Enjoyable Adventure in Antique Hunting
- Red Deer College Nursing Grad 2013 June 8, 2013
- Canada's Gospel Music Celebration July 12 - 14, 2012
A weekend of gospel music and fellowship with guests from across the country.
- Westerner Days Fair and Exposition July 18 - 22, 2012
Westerner Days Fair & Exposistion is central Alberta’s largest summer celebration. From midway rides and free entertainment to the nightly Pony Chuckwagon Races and agricultural arts shows and exhibits, there’s something for everyone. Theres so much tio see and do – try picking a favorite!
- Central Music Festival August 17 - 19, 2012
Central Music Festival features a wide range of musical styles performed by the finest local, regional, national, and international musicians available. Attendees also enjoy a variety of food and beverages on site, and can browse through the wares and information in booths hosted by local businesses and organizations.
- Western Canadian Reptile Expo 2012 August 25 - 26, 2012
Western Canada's largest Reptile Expo will bring some of the biggest vendors and tons of reptile breeders and suppliers from across Canada to Red Deer. Reptiles, amphibians and invertebrates as well as all the supplies you could ever think of will be on display and ... sale.
- American Contract Bridge League Tournament August 12-17, 2013 www.acbl.org
- Central Alberta Regional Consortium August 28, 2013 www.carcpd.ab.ca
- Wildrose Party of Alberta October 25 & 26, 2013 www.wildrose.ca
- Agri-Trade 2012 November 7 - 10, 2012
Agri-Trade is a treat for the whole farm family and an opportunity for the next generation in agriculture to see progress and products first-hand. The show also features the Home Happenings exhibit, a diverse collection of products for the modern farm home.
- Farm Credit Canada
- Early Literacy Symposium
- Parkland Community Living and Support Society